Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6th - Season's End....


For the last few years, there has been an ice skating rink in Monterey at the Custom House Plaza. Well, the season for it is over, so they were taking it down today. In the top left you can see some of the ice they've already removed from the rink. Top right is a guy scraping the melted portions off of the frozen portion. And the bottom (my favorite) is a shovel sitting on the ice.

You can also see the layers in the ice where they froze it then added water, and refroze it, etc. I love the layers. I tried to get a shot of the sun shining through the ice, showing how blue it was (it was so cool!), but they didn't turn out right, unfortunately. :(

I hope you all enjoy today's tryptich. :D



Because there was interest, here is a picture of the Custom House Plaza. This is the back end, the ice skating rink is to my right, and you can see the ice melting into the grate around the fountain. Underneath the rink is more of this brick, it's a very large courtyard. They hold lots of functions here. Directly ahead is the Monterey Harbor, where (mostly private) boats are kept, and to the left of that is the commercial wharf. Lots of great restaurants and tourist trap stores. To the right a ways is the other wharf, wharf #2. It's where the fishing boats go. There's a beach there, which is my day 2 photo. In that shot, I'm standing on wharf #2.
To my right rear is a museum, and beyond that is the Portola Hotel and Spa. It's at the end of Alvarado St. If you have interest, look up historical photos of Alvarado St. You can compare them to the photo I will take and post at some point this month, hopefully. What a change! :)
I almost forgot! To the left, beyond the wharf is the rec trail. What a gorgeous walk! It leads to Cannery Row and the Aquarium. A friend of mine and I went to a little beach just after the wharf, on the rec trail, today and cleaned up some empty beer bottles, soda bottles, and a 4 foot section of garden hose (?!). People are such jerks sometimes. :P

11 comments:

Andromeda5000 said...

Very nice tryptich. So what does it become when they've removed all the ice??? I think my favourite is the bottom picture too.

Anonymous said...

Great triptych. Works well in the layout you've done too.

Isabella2006 said...

It's something one would see in a crafty scrap book, a good triptych.
Do you skate there? The nearest rink here is a couple of hours away.
Brr looks so cold!

kimbomac said...

It's still such a bizarre concept that you can just throw water down anywhere and hey presto! An ice rink. Like totally foreign! Great job and a wonderful story!

theicebunny said...

I have to agree with you the bottom pic with the shovel is my fav too and a nice layout of your triptych.

Celia said...

Great Triptich phroggy! Very creative indeed.

learn2swim96 said...

The triptych is gorgeous. I love the lighting on the bottom one, and the composition. It looks like a thick layer of icing. YUM!

Julia said...

Awesome triptych. They put up those rinks here, too. I've tried to skate on one but they're so tiny and the ice keeps melting. lol

But the fountain - I recognize it! I think... wasn't it featured in the movie "Beverly Hills Chihuahua"? It looks so familiar. I'm LOVING your shots every day. Makes me want to travel. :)

thephrog said...

I'm not sure, I've never seen "Beverly Hills Chihuahua."
/runs off to add to her Netflix queue...

Lisa Sprague said...

For some reason I didn't think it would be cold enough where you live to keep ice. I like the triptych very much, and the shovel one stands out :)

essjaynz said...

Lovely triptych and even better large. The spade shot is cool, LOL.

I have learnt lots about your area today.